Los Angeles criminal defense attorneys from Spolin Law P.C. are pleased to announce a successful civil rights outcome for a client whose property was taken by the Covina Police Department, located in Los Angeles County.

In late 2016, the Covina Police Department (CPD) impounded a vehicle belonging to a Spolin Law P.C. client. The vehicle also contained over eight thousand and three hundred dollars ($8,300) of the client’s property. While the CPD eventually returned the vehicle, they refused to return any of the property. The CPD claimed that the property was needed for an ongoing investigation into an individual who had no relationship with the Spolin Law P.C. client.

Spolin Law P.C. filed a legal motion in Los Angeles County Superior Court requesting a judicial order for the Covina Police Department to return all property to the client. The motion was opposed by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

The Superior Court then conducted a hearing that spanned two days and during which multiple witnesses testified. A Deputy District Attorney from the DA’s Office argued that, while there was no current known link between the property and any criminal activity, such a link may eventually be discovered; thus, the property should remain in law enforcement custody indefinitely. Attorney Aaron Spolin cited the legal and factual bases entitling his client to the property’s full and immediate return.

At the conclusion of the hearing, the judge granted Spolin Law P.C.’s motion and ordered the full and immediate return of the property in question. As directed by the judge’s order, the Covina Police Department released the property to the client on the following day.

Talk to a Los Angeles Civil Rights Attorney

Aaron Spolin, a former prosecutor, and award-winning Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer, has a track record of success handling violent crime cases. He has been on the winning side of hundreds of cases. To receive a 100% free and confidential consultation from an attorney or staff member today, please call this number: (310) 424-5816.